Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Live For Speed Torque

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 4
Send Topic Print
Making movies - a to do list (Read 10206 times)
Diesel
Global Moderator

the Netherlands
Making movies - a to do list
Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:22am

Going to make a movie? I'll explain how.

Recording
  • Start up Fraps. Download at http://www.fraps.com. Set it to record at Full-size and at 30fps (or lower if the video is choppy.)
  • Start up LFS. Go to Options > Misc and put on Limit framerate on 30fps.
  • In-game, play the replay.

(If you want, to press shift + U to set up a user camera. Press SPACE to remove the usercam menu.)
  • Press SHIFT + F to remove everything from the display.
  • Press F2 to slow down the replay at 0.5 speed.
  • Press the record button you specified in Fraps. When finished, stop recording with the same button.
  • Start up VirtualDub. http://virtualdub.sourceforge.net/. Open the avi file you recorded. Go to Video > Frame rate. Click on Process every other frame and press OK, or click on 'Change to [   ] frames per second' and put down the double amount of fps you set Fraps to. The last option will give the video more fps but you will only notice the difference if you will use slowmotion on this clip in the movie. This is because movies generally dont have more than 30fps.
  • If this is all the movie needs, 1 clip, go to Video > Compression and choose one of the codecs (XviD or DivX are recommended).
    Press F7 to save it and it's done.
  • If you want to edit this clip together with some other clips into a movie, press F7 without compressing it and save it. Now it's time for editing.

Editing
    If you have Adobe Premiere Pro and know at least some basics of movie editing, use that.
    If you're able to use Premiere, you dont need instructions from me, if you dont know how to use Premiere, start with Windows Movie Maker found in the start menu.
    You can always get to use Premiere if you want to go more professional.

Import the clips you made and put them in order, make them longer or shorter and add some transitions if you want. Dont forget, the best transitions wich I'd recommend if you want to use a transitions, is the dissolve, or fade from/to black. The other ones looks pretty unprofessional.
    When you're done, add a title and credits if you want, then finish it and save it.

Advice
    My advice on making movies is keep it viewer friendly. Think what kind of movie it is, is it a cool movie with lots of cool action, edit the shots quickly and choose quick music, but dont make the movie messy, where lots of stuff happens and you dont know what's happening.  

If the movie is more gentle, focus on recording the action clearly and in stylish camera positions+movements.

I know this sounds obvious, but it's often forgotten. A good movie should be a whole package where everything is working together.
    Make the editing and effects the same as the kind of movie.

Watch the movie every now and then when you make progress and think what it would be like if you were a viewer. What would he expect and what would he like to see.

To stop messages from being displayed in Multiplayer replays, open up cfg.txt wich is in the LFS folder. Search for 'MPR Message Block' and change it to 1, change it back to 0 afterwards if you want. Remeber to save it when LFS isnt running.

Tips on the SHIFT + U usercamera. Avoid big fields of view. More than 90 degrees is too much. On the other hand, a Field of view smaller than 90 degrees will look like zooming wich does look good.
    Also, use at least some View smoothing to make the movement of the camera go more dynamic and not instant. A low movement speed is also recommended, I use something around 3 to 20m/s.

Another advice is keep the continuity. Never go back in time (only if you want to get a flashback effect.)

Spoiler: your first movie will probably suck. But so did mine. 

Have fun and good luck!

IP Logged

Vendetta
Torque Veteran
ClubDori

Drift Alliance

Re: Making movies - a to do list
Reply #1 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:32am

Sam, tell us how to remove text from Multiplayer replays Wink

jhrfx  
IP Logged

lok
God Member
ClubDori

Infamous

Fort Knox, kentucky
Reply #2 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:51am

Well that would of been useful earlier. great post none the less

OMG my first movie did suck!!! lol  Tongue

...&&I collect n00bs&&
lok  
IP Logged

Diesel
Global Moderator

the Netherlands
Reply #3 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 10:57am

Vendetta wrote on Aug 7th, 2005 at 9:32am:
Sam, tell us how to remove text from Multiplayer replays Wink

Oh yea, that's the thing I forgot. I knew I forgot something!  Smiley

And if anyone has more to add, post it and I'll add it.

IP Logged

Vendetta
Torque Veteran
ClubDori

Drift Alliance

Reply #4 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 1:34pm

Their are a few out their who dont know about the follow car option.

jhrfx  
IP Logged

Diesel
Global Moderator

the Netherlands
Reply #5 - Aug 7th, 2005 at 2:00pm

Well okay, use that option in the usercam menu to let the camera follow the nearest car.

IP Logged

Dave
God Member

lolwut

The netherlands
Reply #6 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 7:58pm

make the text black or shit hard to read  Tongue

...&&Kansei Brotherhood | Dori stars
Dave  
IP Logged

Cobalt Blue
Weekend Racer

Nsane

Germany
Reply #7 - Aug 8th, 2005 at 9:46pm

As far as I know most people use the torque1 template, not the default one ... black text would be a bad idea then Wink

Link to old Sig until I resize it according to the new rules&&Topless S2 endurance drifter ;-] - get my skins HERE
WWW 105125756  
IP Logged

FujiWara
Motorsport Junkie

IDD - Initial D Drifters

Reply #8 - Aug 15th, 2005 at 3:04pm

Adobe Premeir 1.5 Pro Smiley
I worked on the transitions, but the video effects is what I am having problems with. I'm not sure how to use them "nicely" cuz I can't get the effect to start in one of the clips. I know how to use transitions, but i'd like to go above and beyond from my last movie, which basically was horrible imo.

WWW AzNxToFuBoi  
IP Logged

FujiWara
Motorsport Junkie

IDD - Initial D Drifters

Reply #9 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:38am

I was wondering if Adobe Premeir 1.5 Pro allows you to add text within the movie? Cuz the help told me to download some other program...

WWW AzNxToFuBoi  
IP Logged

Diesel
Global Moderator

the Netherlands
Reply #10 - Aug 20th, 2005 at 2:54am

To add text: go to file > new > title. Make the title with the tools and press CTRL S to save it. Now it's become a video clip in cliplist so you can use it.

FujiWara wrote on Aug 15th, 2005 at 3:04pm:
Adobe Premeir 1.5 Pro Smiley
I worked on the transitions, but the video effects is what I am having problems with. I'm not sure how to use them "nicely" cuz I can't get the effect to start in one of the clips. I know how to use transitions, but i'd like to go above and beyond from my last movie, which basically was horrible imo.

Well you know how to drag an effect onto the clip right. To make the effect visible when you cant see it, change the parameters of it.
Parameters like opacity or amount sometimes need a different setting for the effect to be visible.

For example: The most common effect would be the Contrast Brightness effect to make flashes. Drag it onto the clip, then click on the arrows for Brightness and Contrast to unfold their settings. Click on the clock to start keyframe editing and make 3 keyframes;
one at 0 then one frame thereafter one at ~50 then back to 0. To make them just enter the value at a specific frame you want that value to be used, then forward to the next frame and enter a new value. If you have done it right, in the middle frame you will see a flash.

IP Logged

FujiWara
Motorsport Junkie

IDD - Initial D Drifters

Reply #11 - Oct 11th, 2005 at 1:27pm

Well, i think half of the video is done right now. I got that part about timing the effects and stuff, but I don't know how to cause the time to go slower, and I don't want to use the LFS slow motion time cause it's unprofessional way to do things. I think the effect is posterize time, but I can't seem to get it to work for some reason. And one more thing, I was wondering if there was another video effect besides using brightness, cause I'm pretty much using that all day Sad

WWW AzNxToFuBoi  
IP Logged

FujiWara
Motorsport Junkie

IDD - Initial D Drifters

Reply #12 - Oct 12th, 2005 at 1:29pm

Ok, I got the slow motion down thanks to Immense Smiley. But I still need some other effects than brightness & contrast because it's getting overused as mentioned in the post above(btw, thanks for helping diesel Smiley apperciate it). I need to know some other nice effects that I don't know or haven't been introduced to. I was wondering what effect was the one which causes the camera to shake? Undecided

WWW AzNxToFuBoi  
IP Logged

Diesel
Global Moderator

the Netherlands
Reply #13 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 2:23am

The shaking? Yea that's not an effect though. The way I do it is I click the clock for position, increase the scale to 110%, click the motion button and then move the video a bit. Move to the next frame with the right cursor keys and move the video a bit again. Make sure you dont see the edges. Most shocks begin heavily and then fade smoothly. This means you will have to move the video more per frame and gradually decrease the amount of movement every frame.
It takes some trial and error, but the result is really worth it if done right.

http://img432.imageshack.us/img432/2921/shake8tn.jpg

IP Logged

Vendetta
Torque Veteran
ClubDori

Drift Alliance

Reply #14 - Oct 14th, 2005 at 8:04am

Hey sam what movie is that  Tongue

jhrfx  
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 4