Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Live For Speed Torque

HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Braking Techniques discussion. (Read 2254 times)
Nuvolari
Administrator

Braking Techniques discussion.
Jan 23rd, 2007 at 10:19pm

placeholder for braking discussion

IP Logged

Nuvolari
Administrator

Re: Braking Techniques discussion.
Reply #1 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 5:15pm

Nismosis wrote on Mar 19th, 2007 at 3:31pm:
I usually keep my brake ratio at about 47%-50% front. So just incase i need to add some angle i can tap the brakes.
Why would you want to drift during a race?

IP Logged

Dan

Melbourne, Australia
Reply #2 - Mar 19th, 2007 at 6:31pm

Speed drift!!!!11o1ne

I find braking down to a comfortable speed hard is a great way of braking. It let's you judge the corner each time you go into it. Soon or later you will get it right and progress on getting it down allot more efficiently! Not too good on the tires at first, so I would not suggest this for a big race that you haven't practiced for  Tongue

...&&
IP Logged

Fangio
ClubDori

*DA* club member

aaa
Reply #3 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:39am

yes brake hard in the last moment is the best way to be fast in most of corners except very few ones... but the other part of the braking is how u lift it. u can lift the brake sudently, at time u move your wheel in the right direction the fast weight lift ll increase the turning speed. (not the turning on the corner, the way of how car turns) if u get this working right u ll gain time in slow corners braking later and turning less time. On fast corners is bit better lift the brake softly and even give a little throttle imput during braking lift (i think u call it tail braking in english) that ll end in a softer turning on the car wich give u less tire friction = less speed lose. (this is pretty basic but i hope it helps)  Wink

To lazy to make a smaller one Tongue

IP Logged

Nuvolari
Administrator

Reply #4 - Mar 20th, 2007 at 3:28pm

Fangio wrote on Mar 20th, 2007 at 8:39am:
yes brake hard in the last moment is the best way to be fast in most of corners except very few ones...
Not really. Braking late means a more pronounced weight shift forward and usually makes turn in a bit more radical and abrupt. It is generally faster to trail brake or brake early and enter the corner smoothly with as much speed as possible. Late braking often washes off more speed than is neccessary when compared to lighter early braking, or trail braking.

Late braking or threshold braking is very important to learn though. When fighting for position you may need to out-brake your opponent to protect or gain a position when approaching a corner or section. If you aren't fighting with another driver though, it is best to trail brake and/or smoothly enter the corner rather than use threshold braking.

Threshold braking can help you to be the first one to reach the corner entry but won't usually give you the fastest lap times or corner speeds. A complete racer will use a mixture of techniques to make the most of each situation.

- If you have the time and space to brake early and lightly then that is often the best way to tackle the turns. This backs up the "slow in - fast out" cornering rule that brings good lap times.

- If you are fighting hard to protect or steal a position then threshold or late braking will usually give you the advantage, especially when both cars are close together.

The other main technique that you mention is engine braking, where you lift off the throttle and allow the drive train and engine to slow the car. It can produce a subtle and managable forward weight shift while allowing the drive to get back on the power smoothly and with little loss of momentum. When combined with a turning motion the lateral weight shift helps to load up the suspension on the "outside" and sets the car up for a sharp and clean turn-in. If your car is set up right you can use engine braking combined with trail braking to hook your car around tighter turns at good speed and with minimal loss of forward momentum. This can sometimes be hard to achieve when using brakes alone or when braking hard. It is harder to steer when brakes are applied hard and the chances of locking a wheel/flatspotting a tyre/losing control are increased.

IP Logged

Riders Motion
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 11:24am

Brake before you hit the wall or another car  Grin

IP Logged

Nuvolari
Administrator

Reply #6 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 4:54pm

Riders Motion wrote on Mar 22nd, 2007 at 11:24am:
Brake before you hit the wall or another car  Grin

Yeah er, thanks for the spam.  Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Fangio
ClubDori

*DA* club member

aaa
Reply #7 - Mar 22nd, 2007 at 10:23pm

yes... thats true too, i think its more up to driver, different thechnics feets better in different drivers.. for fast corners i use trail braking, that give me much more control of the car and i dont lose speed at all. for slow corenrs i preffer brake alte as possible and even pass the apex a bit then lift off the brake quick plus a a propper wheel move wich give me a fast steer (on FF cars works better and later, ufr is peeeerfect for that). what u say is truth, i know some racers wich use the brakes like u and really work for them and another racer wich brake very late and work to for them. as i said before i mix the technics for every corner style and car layout too, brake very late and using the engine isnt the best thing on FR cars ie.

i rly want to race with u and KRC, u look very known i bet we ll have fun  Smiley

To lazy to make a smaller one Tongue

IP Logged

Kelu
Cold Tyres

France
Reply #8 - Apr 4th, 2007 at 6:06pm

I will show you the best way to brake, to my mind:

IP Logged

Eagle
Torque Racer

Rawr

Australia
Reply #9 - Apr 5th, 2007 at 1:04pm

I cant say that picture really gives me a unique outlook on braking. My technique is somewhat strange to most others. Usally before i actually hit the correct braking zone, i will hit the brakes suddenly, down shift so the revs go up it just happens not intentinal, then lift off the brakes then do it for the next gear before i actually fully start braking, it proberly isnt the most appropriate way to brake but for my driving style it seems right, though with practice i should be able to get better but i dont use my wheel much, usally just drift Smiley but i like racing and it always has a place in my heart Smiley But yeay my braking is somewhat strange, though i usally use a mixture of whats listed above and trail braking, and usally uber later braking if the situation arrises.

...&&...
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print