Placeholder for throttle discussion

IP Logged

Fangio
ClubDori

*DA* club member

aaa
Re: Throttle Application
Reply #1 - Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:37pm

Here is a little graph that i did for Sir tryng to help him with the car settings. Weight values arent correct at all, those are just to show how would react a car with 50-50 balance, so either is correct how low the tail go in the graph, thats that high to make it easy to see. This just work on rear traction cars.

This isnt just a Throttle Application, it shows how we could use the Throttle in a set to make it more effective but we are just focused on that, dont show the camber variations and many things that mainly affect the car reaction. this graph dont show what would happend in a corner, etc. i hope u find it usefull.

To lazy to make a smaller one Tongue

IP Logged

Shotglass
Local Hero

LFS Torque pwns me!

Reply #2 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:05am

Fangio wrote on Feb 9th, 2007 at 10:37pm:

not quite ... weight shifts or rather load shifts are an effect of moments the amount of actual weight being shifted (ie movement of the cog) is negligable

IP Logged

13DoriSins
God Member

Creeper

New Zealand
Reply #3 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:50pm

Shotglass wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 10:05am:

not quite ... weight shifts or rather load shifts are an effect of moments the amount of actual weight being shifted (ie movement of the cog) is negligable

Sorry I'm finding this hard to understand...are you saying that when weight is shifted to the rear the effects are insignificant?

...&&
Inertia
Creeps
&&
DRIFTALLIANCE
&&
IP Logged

Shotglass
Local Hero

LFS Torque pwns me!

Reply #4 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 1:43pm

13DoriSins wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 12:50pm:
Sorry I'm finding this hard to understand...are you saying that when weight is shifted to the rear the effects are insignificant?

no im saying that the movement of the body under a/decelleration or while turning has a (very) minor influence on the amount of load thats shifted

edit:
or in other words the amout of weight thats shifted on a car with no suspension whatsoever would be roughly the same as on one with a suspension (the difference would be less than about 5%)

IP Logged

Fangio
ClubDori

*DA* club member

aaa
Reply #5 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:45pm

i dont know how u take that values if we are not talking about torque, engine position, tire size (contact with tarmac) tire compound, diferentials and etc... (im talking about "less than 5%). Dragster have no supension and in an acceleration the reaction of the torque-(pulling drive) move the weights around 40% (wheelie bars had to be invented coz that reason). Some of my words could be incorrect... i dont know english in a level that i would xplain this in spanish but the idea is something like this...

Even if this were just a 5%...  a 5% in 1350kg + - tire and torque variations would give u an amount of weight wich pull the tires to tarmac harder.. that little difference makes much on the amount of grip. 40kg + in the tire pressure will increase the tire band contact and at the same time break the inertia faster.. = more grip + more reaction. (just look how the old dragsters reacts)

To lazy to make a smaller one Tongue

IP Logged

Shotglass
Local Hero

LFS Torque pwns me!

Reply #6 - Feb 10th, 2007 at 4:30pm

Fangio wrote on Feb 10th, 2007 at 2:45pm:
Even if this were just a 5%...  a 5% in 1350kg + - tire and torque variations would give u an amount of weight wich pull the tires to tarmac harder.. that little difference makes much on the amount of grip. 40kg + in the tire pressure will increase the tire band contact and at the same time break the inertia faster.. = more grip + more reaction. (just look how the old dragsters reacts)

the point is the effect is negligible to begin with and the amount by which you would have to change your setup to get any measurable effect would cause much greater damage to your cars balance in any other situation

eg another way to achieve this would be by jacking the suspension up as far as it will go which results in about 1/10 faster times on the drag strip ... but the disadvantages such a high cog would have in corners far outweight the minor advantage you get in a straight line

IP Logged

lok
God Member
ClubDori

Infamous

Fort Knox, kentucky
Reply #7 - Feb 11th, 2007 at 12:27am

dont show the camber variations and many things that mainly affect the car reaction. this graph dont show what would happend in a corner, etc.

Some one forgot to read the whole post Tongue. What fang posted is a very simple general rule. Of course other setting aswell as corners with change the effects on the car under throttle. If anything, some people will now know what bump and rebound is.  Cheesy

...&&I collect n00bs&&
lok  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print